Gain Immediate Relaxation with Nadi Shodana
Well that was a wild ride through the Beltaine/Samhain Blue Moon, wasn’t it? This energetic window is still open for a few more days. If you are feeling stressed then below is the way to find relaxation with Nadi Shodana.
Stay open to receive messages and guidance from beyond, as the veil of the spirit world remains thin for a few days yet. This is the time when spiritual activity is at its highest and you have assistance from the other side ready and waiting, everything is in alignment to help you clean, clear and complete so you can co-create a life you love with spirit.
If you are walking around with butterflies in your stomach. Understand that this is stress and it is no way to live. Everyone deserves peace. The more people who experience peace, the more peace there is for all of us. Makes sense, right? We are after all one heartbeat, one breath.
“If you do not fill your energetic field with new experiences, new ideas, and new versions of yourself, your field becomes dim and worn, bored with the same old story.” Barbara Marciniak
Why Should You Do This?
So today I want to offer a simple breathing practice that’s easy to do. It will calm your heart and quiet your mind. This practice is called Nadi Shodhana, or alternate nostril breathing.
Nadi Shodhana delivers a sense of peace immediately. There are several different styles of Nadi Shodhana, but they all serve the purpose of creating balance and regulating the flow of air through your nasal passages. In fact, the term Nadi Shodhana means “clearing the channels of circulation.”
In addition to being able to find relaxation with Nadi Shodana, it is calming for the mind and reverses stress. Alternate nostril breathing also:
- Improves our ability to focus the mind
- Supports our lungs and respiratory functions
- Restores balance in the left and right hemispheres of the brain, and clears the energetic channels
- Rejuvenates the nervous system
- Removes toxins
- Settles stress
The Sanskrit meaning of Nadi Shodana is “energy channel cleansing (or purification).” It has a long history in Ayurveda and Yoga as a way to achieve mental, physical, and emotional balance.
For me, it’s a go-to when I’m stressed. And it’s safe for just about anyone.
Unless you have a serious cardiovascular disease or asthma, you can do it right now with no fear. (And if you do have a condition, it’s probably still safe, but ask your doctor first.)
What have you got to lose? Try it now as a way to find relaxation with Nadi Shodana if you haven’t yet. It is featured in my Chakra Dance and Meditate Course. Here’s how to do it:
How To Do Nadi Shodana (Alternate Nostril Breathing)
- Find a comfortable chair, floor cushion, or mat. Sit up straight as you can, but don’t strain. This is not a yoga pose.
- Let your left-hand rest gently in your lap. Bring your right hand up to your face.
- Place the index and middle fingers of your raised hand lightly against the space between your eyebrows.
- Close your eyes.
- Take a nice, long, easy deep breath through your nose – inhale then exhale.
- Close your right nostril with your thumb, and then inhale slowly through your left nostril.
- At the top of your in-breath, close your left nostril with your ring finger, so that both of your nostrils are closed.
- Pause for a moment.
- Release your thumb from your right nostril and exhale (keep your left nostril closed).
- Pause again for a moment.
- Now reverse the process. Breathe in slowly and steadily through your right nostril. At the top of the in-breath, close up both nostrils again, pause, and then release your out-breath through your left nostril.
- Pause again. Repeat the breathing process, alternating nostrils. Do this several times, slowly and mindfully.
Tip: Consistency is helpful, try to match the length of your inhales, pauses, and exhales. For example, you can start to inhale for a count of five, hold for five, exhale for five, hold for five. You can slowly increase your count as you refine your practice.
What do you think? If you did this practice even for just a few minutes, you probably feel more relaxed. It is easy to find relaxation with Nadi Shodana
May you be blessed with the connection to the Source within you, to your peace, love and joy as you shine your light so bright.